Bring out your ninja warrior by developing the strength skills needed to master your fitness goals. Whether your goal is to compete in an obstacle course, perform aerial tricks, or even just climb the monkey bars at the park, we all have an inner warrior in us that wants to be unleashed!
WHAT IS NINJA WARRIOR?
Many of you are familiar with the show, American Ninja Warrior. For those of you who are not as familiar, it’s an American sports entertainment competition that is action packed with competitors who tackle a series of physically challenging obstacles.
The show airs on NBC and has over 7 million viewers a week to witness the best of the best competitors by using their ninja skills to leap, climb, crawl, jump, and do what it physically takes to conquer the toughest strength tasks in obstacle form. Athletes competing for competition train year round for this unforgiving, one-time shot course.
NEEDED NINJA SKILLS
There are many who inspire to be the best ninja warrior and train relentlessly with specialized gyms and obstacle-laden backyards. Training for these skills takes strength, stamina, balance, coordination, speed, and the courage to succeed.
The ninja philosophy is all about taking on unique physical challenges while having fun. Yes, it takes developing strength skills, but to test your ultimate limits, it’s also about learning how to move your body more efficiently utilizing your flexibility, coordination, and balance skills.
NINJA WARRIOR WORKOUT
Create your own ninja warrior oasis on your Total Gym with this powerful workout. These moves will build the strength and endurance you need for body-weight mastery.
Take your time learning the moves. Once perfected and your form is on point, challenge your inner ninja by doing a HIIT circuit.
Pull up bars
Choose an incline that is appropriate for your strength level. Adjust the incline to accommodate the right intensity for your body.
Begin with a dynamic set of movements that warm-up and prepare your muscles for the circuit workout. This is a workout in itself!
* Hand weights can be used for added intensity, but are not necessary.
Instructions: Perform each exercise listed on your Total Gym for 30-60 seconds. (This is based on your fitness level and workout time.) Repeat 2 sets. Then transition into the Ninja Circuit.
- Jack Squats
- Jump Squat Roll Down
- Lunge Drop Straddles
- 4 Shoulder Taps / 2 Plank Slides
- Groiners +plyo
- This workout is compiled of 2 different circuits to maximize the accessories used.
- Complete all sets of Circuit 1 before tackling Circuit 2.
- Aim to accomplish 3 sets.
- Learn the exercise sequence so you can transition quickly. The transition and set up can be used as your ‘breather break’.
- Perform each exercise for 30 seconds.
- Once all the exercises are completed, take a breather, and get back to it for the 2nd set!
- Perform each exercise for 60 seconds.
- Take a quick break and reset for the last set.
- Perform each exercise for 90 seconds. This will be a challenge, but take your time and don’t give up! Stay the course.
- Proceed to a cool down series of stretches
- Pull-up Series (regular, uneven, singles, plyos)
- Single Leg Jumps (side lying with squat stand)
- Leap Over Burpie
- Push-up / Pike-up
Perform the exercises in HIIT circuit form, one exercise after the other with little to no rest. This will challenge your strength, endurance, and will kick start your stamina for optimal performance.
Goal: Enhance upper & lower body strength endurance, power, & stamina
Accessory set up needed: Pull-up bars & Squat Stand
*Connect Pull-up Bars & Squat Stand*
*Remove Pull-up Bars*
*Remove Squat Stand*
Accessory set up needed: Ab Crunch & Cables
- Single Arm Kneeling Row & Twist +advanced challenge: high kneeling switches
- Static Biceps / Triceps
- Ab crunch series (double knee tucks, side knee tucks, pikes)
- Forearm Crawl
*Remove Cables & Connect Ab Crunch*
Conclude your workout with a series of stretches on your Total Gym to prevent soreness, tension, and injury.
- Runners Lunge
- Figure 4
- Forward Fold & Rotate
Take a moment to view the video to see how the exercises are perform for this Ninja HIIT Circuit.
Tackle these or similar exercise challenges on a daily basis to bring out your ninja warrior.
I encourage you to keep focused with your head in your game. Maintain a steady pace and strive to accomplish more each workout. Consistency will pay off!
Cheers to the ninja in you,