Our hearts break with news of another devastating terror attack.
As of now, ISIS has claimed the attack in Nice, France by Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, who drove a truck through groups of innocent people celebrating Bastille Day in the Promenade in Nice, France. ISIS has previously encouraged its supporters to attack French people with cars. There have been no accomplices found to have aided the lone murderer and his attack appears to be premeditated.
The driver of the truck, a 31-year-old French-born Tunisian, who had been questioned by police earlier in the day and told them he was delivering ice cream, was let go without further interrogation. His truck, which was full of grenades and weapons would become the weapon of death used to brutally crush the bodies of over a hundred people, killing 84 wounding more than 50. More than 10 children have been confirmed among the dead. The driver drove the 19-ton truck 1.3 miles going an estimated 40 mph, zig-zagging and firing a gun into the crowd to maximize the destruction.
Brodie and Sean Copeland, a Texan father and his son, were counted among the dead late Thursday night. Others who lost their lives were nationals from: France, Germany, Switzerland, Japan, Armenia and Russian. Although, the death count has not been completed.
The siege began at 10:30pm, shortly after the fireworks display thousands had come to enjoy.
The French authorities say it is their third mass terrorist attack in 18 months and have extended their National State of Emergency another 3 months. International leaders have condemned the carnage. Russia’s Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said, “We must find answers to such challengers, to show solidarity, to do everything we can to fight against terrorism. Especially since terrorists and their sponsors only understand force, and we must use it.” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said: “President Putin sent a telegram to his French counterpart President Hollande, in which he expressed deep condolences after this inhumane, barbaric terrorist attack.”